Job Alert: Squeaky Wheel Seeks Instructor for Buffalo Youth Media Art InstituteBack >
July 24, 2019
From our friends at Squeaky Wheel:
Squeaky Wheel is seeking a dedicated media arts instructor for Buffalo Youth Media Institute, an out-of-school program designed for high school students living in Buffalo. Candidates should have professional media arts and teaching experience in camera operations and audio recording; video editing and audio mixing; graphic design and animation.
Required skill sets:
- Experience teaching high school age youth and/or young adults
- Cultural competency in working with youth from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Video Production & Post-Production (e.g. proficiency in Final Cut Pro etc.)
- Audio Production & Post-Production (e.g. proficiency in Pro Tools, Audacity, etc.)
- Experience working in trauma-informed environments
- Experienced in trauma-informed care/instructional practices
- New media production skills i.e. ability to use many digital practices required for creative media-based production. Interest in exploring social & economic issues.
Days/Period of work:
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 3–6 pm from Oct. 7, 2019–June 6, 2020
Squeaky Wheel established the Buffalo Youth Media Institute in 2005 and has been working in partnership with the Buffalo Center for Arts & Technology as a host venue for the program since 2013. Through videos, lectures, critiques, and hands-on demonstrations, students explore the life, culture, and people of Greater Buffalo behind the lens of a camera.
Teaching Artist has the freedom to set their own curricula. Examples of topics from past documentary projects include:
- Buffalo’s hip hop scene
- Colored Musicians Club
- Civic engagement
- Racial profiling
- Violence in schools
To apply, please send a letter of intent (max. 1 page) and CV/resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line "BYMI Instructor Application" by 5:00 pm, Friday, August 23rd, 2019.
Any offer will be contingent on successful completion of a background check. Position open until filled. Squeaky Wheel is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from Indigenous peoples, Black and Brown people, women, and 2SLGBTQQIA+ individuals.