Job Alert: Open Buffalo to Hire Development Communications ManagerBack >
September 11, 2019
Our mission is to advance racial, economic, and ecological justice. We do so through skill-building, network-connecting, and activating leadership opportunities. Our goal is that all communities in Western New York are thriving free from discrimination and poverty.
People directly experiencing systemic challenges and inequities that we aim to address will always have a voice in identifying the problems and developing the solutions. An empowered democratic society is key to a joyful, culturally rich community and sustainable planet.
An Opportunity to Join Our Team
POSITION: Development Communications Manager
Date of Posting: September 11, 2019
The key purpose of this position is to be the creative engineer of resonant language that makes people want to be connected to Open Buffalo. This position guides communication for fundraising, program participation, and volunteerism. Knowledge and experience of audience segmentation and understanding the different communications mechanisms that these populations use to receive and retain information are essential. A commitment to social change and personal and professional alignment with our mission are essential. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits based in Buffalo, N.Y., reporting to the Executive Director.
- Audience segmentation and mapping of interests, communication needs, and delivery mechanisms.
- Create audience engagement and fundraising strategies with the Open Buffalo team.
- Research and engage diversified sources of funding from individuals, foundations, and corporate grantors that align with Open Buffalo’s mission and values.
- In coordination with the Executive Director, assess budgetary needs and establish annual goals for funding and audience engagement.
- Be proactive in identifying and soliciting individuals and local business sponsorships.
- Manage and oversee the timely implementation of agreed-upon fundraising and communications strategies, campaigns, and deadlines.
- Cultivate ongoing relationships with current and prospective funders and supporters to enhance giving opportunities.
- Work to ensure stewardship of all donors through timely measures of recognition and updates of the giving impact on Open Buffalo’s initiatives and goals.
- Provide coordination for meetings and detailed reports on development-related projects to the Executive Director and Board of Directors on a regular basis.
- Experience with professional fundraising/nonprofit development program
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated commitment, through work or volunteer experience, to social justice
- Proven track record in achieving annual funding in major gifts, institutional giving and sponsorship development
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communications skills
- Strong social media skills
- Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to link Open Buffalo’s mission and program objectives with donors’ interests and priorities
- Cultural competency and proven ability to work collaboratively in a culturally diverse environment
- Computer literacy and familiarity with Salesforce a plus
Equal Opportunity Employer
Open Buffalo values diversity and inclusion throughout our city and within our organization. People of color, women, LGBTQI individuals, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits
Open Buffalo offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The base salary for this position is $50,000. Full health benefits, 401-K, and generous time off. Friendly, culturally vibrant, team-oriented working environment.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and the names, association, and contact information of three different types of individuals who can give us greater insights as to who you are, what you value, and how you work.
Open Buffalo Search Committee
1327 Jefferson Avenue, Upper
Buffalo, NY 14208
Or via e-mail to email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.