Our mission is to advance racial, economic, and ecological justice. We do so through skill-building, network-connecting, and activating leadership opportunities. Our goal is that all communities in Western New York are thriving free from discrimination and poverty.
People directly experiencing systemic challenges and inequities that we aim to address will always have a voice in identifying the problems and developing the solutions. An empowered democratic society is key to a joyful, culturally rich community and sustainable planet.
An Opportunity to Join Our Team
POSITION: Training and Movement Building Coordinator
Date of Posting: December 3, 2019
Deadline to Apply: December 20, 2019
The key purpose of this position is to build a movement of empowered civic leaders in Western New York. The ideal candidate has significant experience in community organizing, training and facilitation. The candidate would have a deep and holistic understanding of how individuals and groups can effect meaningful systemic change in their community. The candidate would have the ability to connect and develop deep and meaningful relationships within diverse communities on both organizational and individual levels. A commitment to social change and personal and professional alignment with our mission are essential.
The Training and Movement Building Coordinator is a six-month temporary position, with a possibility of extension.
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits based in Buffalo, N.Y., reporting to the Executive Director.
- Youth Organizers Unleashed (Y.O.U.): In partnership with the Open Buffalo team, assist in implementing this newly created youth organizing program.
- Emerging Leaders: Oversee the 2020 relaunch of the Open Buffalo Emerging Leaders Program.
- Ensure Open Buffalo’s various Leadership programs, and curriculums for each program, are aligned with the Open Buffalo strategic plan as well as the community skills and capacity needed for effecting change in Buffalo.
- Build meaningful relationships with the program participants, with an eye toward creating well-rounded leaders, aligned with Open Buffalo issue advocacy.
- Identify and develop trainers to deliver the curriculum.
- Create and facilitate workshop curriculum.
- Leverage community partnerships and conduct outreach to build excitement for voting and civic engagement with a special focus on young people ages 18-25.
- Deep understanding of the history of community organizing, movement building and liberation
- Experience developing and executing curricula and class plans
- Demonstrated commitment, through work or volunteer experience, to social justice
- Experience creating and implementing community campaigns
- Experience with in-person facilitation and training
- Experience with community organizing
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communications skills
- Strong social media skills and ability to engage with online communities
- Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to link Open Buffalo’s mission and program objectives
- Cultural competency and proven ability to work collaboratively in a culturally diverse environment
- Computer literacy and familiarity with VAN and Salesforce a plus
- Familiarity with online learning tools
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Open Buffalo values diversity and inclusion throughout our city and within our organization. People of color, women, LGBTQI individuals, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits:
Open Buffalo offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary for six months is $27,500. Full health benefits, 401-K, and generous time off. Friendly, culturally vibrant, team-oriented working environment. Questions on terms of employment can be directed to email@example.com
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and the names, association, and contact information of three different types of individuals who can give us greater insights as to who you are, what you value, and how you work.
Open Buffalo Search Committee
1327 Jefferson Avenue, Upper
Buffalo, NY 14208
Or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.