Open Buffalo Seeks Director of Equitable DevelopmentBack >
December 19, 2018
Open Buffalo is a civic initiative with a mission to create an equal, just and free city driven by a united and empowered community open to full democratic participation by all its residents, open to innovative ideas and policies; open to new leaders from diverse communities; and open to meaningful economic opportunity and sustainable wealth creation for all. By tackling systemic causes of oppression and inequality, we will make major, long-term improvements in justice and equity.
Open Buffalo - Job Posting
Director of Equitable Development
Date of Posting: December 19, 2018
About the Director of Equitable Development:
Open Buffalo is seeking candidates with deep commitment to social change and that share our vision of an “Open” Buffalo. Open Buffalo’s Director of Equitable Development will have a passion for building knowledge and power within frontline communities while advancing the strategies towards creating a Just Transition. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits based in Buffalo, N.Y., reporting to the Executive Director of Open Buffalo.
- Work with local, state and national partners to implement national best practices regarding principles of a “Just Transition” from an extractive and exploitative economy to a just and sustainable one.
- Coordinate base-building efforts, including door-knocking, phone-banking and related field activities to engage the community.
- In coordination with the Open Buffalo Director of Leadership Development, identify candidates for leadership development, and engage leaders in campaign opportunities.
- Train community members, Emerging Leaders and Democracy Fellows on the Just Transition framework.
- Educate Open Buffalo partners and community allies on Just Transition principles.
- Provide general support for Open Buffalo issue campaign work, and other environmental/climate justice movement support.
- Liaison with other justice-related campaigns as needed.
- Lead campaign planning and goal setting.
- As a member of Open Buffalo’s management team, help set the organization’s direction.
- Minimum Experience: A bachelor’s degree + 3-5 years of experience; a master’s degree + 2-3 years of experience; or a minimum of six or more years of continued professional growth in a demanding non-profit or government setting
- More than two years of experience in supervising and leading a team
- Strong community outreach, and community organizing skills
- Demonstrated commitment, through work or volunteer experience, to social justice
- Cultural competency and proven ability to work in a culturally diverse environment
- Significant experience working with diverse constituencies, from high level officials to grassroots organizations and community members
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communications skills
- Familiarity with leadership training and development
- A firm knowledge base of the functions and operations of government structures and systems
- A strong interest in and familiarity with public policy, advocacy tactics and strategies
- Experience with and understanding of energy policy, environmental justice, and climate change is preferred.
Open Buffalo values diversity and inclusion throughout our city and within our organization. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply.
Terms of employment
Open Buffalo offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary scale for this position starts at $60,000. Full health benefits; pension; generous time off. Friendly, team-oriented working environment.
Applications are currently being accepted, interviews will begin in January 2019 and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please, no calls or email inquiries. Please submit a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references (names and contact information) to:
Open Buffalo Search Committee
1327 Jefferson Avenue, Upper
Buffalo, NY 14208
Or via e-mail to email@example.com