Open Buffalo Mission
Our mission is to advance racial, economic, and ecological justice. We do so through skill-building, network-connecting, and activating leadership opportunities. Our goal is that all communities in Western New York are thriving free from discrimination and poverty.
Our Collective Vision of Liberation
People directly experiencing systemic challenges and inequities that we aim to address will always have a voice in identifying the problems and developing the solutions. An empowered democratic society is key to a joyful, culturally rich community and sustainable planet.
An Opportunity to Join Our Team
Position: Communications Manager
Date of Posting: January 12, 2023
The key purpose of this position is to be the creative engineer of resonant language that makes people want to be connected to Open Buffalo. This position guides communication for fundraising, program participation, and volunteerism. Knowledge and experience of audience segmentation and understanding the different communications mechanisms that these populations use to receive and retain information are essential. A commitment to social change and personal and professional alignment with our mission are essential. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits based in Buffalo, N.Y., reporting to the Deputy Director.
- Design and manage the timely implementation of agreed-upon communications strategies and campaigns.
Increase the visibility and awareness of Open Buffalo’s work throughout Buffalo, Western New York, and the nation.
- Maximize the effectiveness of Open Buffalo’s efforts to recruit program participants, new team members, and community partnerships through innovative communication campaigns.
- Manage Open Buffalo’s social media, e-newsletter, and other electronic communications to further our mission and foster real-world engagements and partnerships.
- Support Open Buffalo grant writing efforts by learning our organizational voice and values and effectively relaying them to funders.
- Audience segmentation and mapping of interests, communication needs, and delivery mechanisms.
- Create audience engagement and fundraising strategies with the Open Buffalo team.
- Be proactive in identifying and soliciting individuals and local business sponsorships.
- Help cultivate ongoing relationships with current and prospective funders and supporters to enhance giving opportunities.
- Work to ensure stewardship of all donors through timely measures of recognition and updates of the giving impact on Open Buffalo’s initiatives and goals.
- Demonstrated commitment, through work or volunteer experience, to social justice
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience working with customer relationship software platforms and the ability to work with databases of contacts or customers
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communications skills
- Strong social media skills
- Experience working with graphic design software (ie Adobe apps or Canva) to create graphics, flyers, presentations, and/or publications.
- Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to link Open Buffalo’s mission and program objectives with the interests and priorities of different audiences
- Cultural competency and proven ability to work collaboratively in a culturally diverse environment
- High level computer literacy
- Familiarity with the community organizing and issue-based organizing campaigns is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Open Buffalo values diversity and inclusion throughout our city and within our organization. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits
Open Buffalo offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The base salary for this position is $55,000. Full health benefits, 401-K, and generous time off. Friendly, culturally vibrant, team-oriented working environment.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and the names, association, and contact information of three different types of individuals who can give us greater insights as to who you are, what you value, and how you work. We will be accepting resumes on a rolling basis. Interview scheduling may start immediately for qualified candidates.
Please send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or application materials can be sent by mail to:
Open Buffalo Search Committee
1327 Jefferson Avenue, Upper
Buffalo, NY 14208
Application deadline: February 9, 2023