Open Buffalo Mission
Our mission is to advance racial, economic, and ecological justice. We do so through skill-building, network-connecting, and activating leadership opportunities. Our goal is that all communities in Western New York are thriving free from discrimination and poverty.
Our Collective Vision of Liberation
People directly experiencing systemic challenges and inequities that we aim to address will always have a voice in identifying the problems and developing the solutions. An empowered democratic society is key to a joyful, culturally rich community and sustainable planet.
An Opportunity to Join Our Team
Position: Ecological Justice Coordinator
Date of Posting: February 16, 2023
About the Ecological Justice Coordinator:
Open Buffalo is seeking candidates with deep commitment to social change who share our vision of an “Open” Buffalo. Open Buffalo’s Ecological Justice Coordinator will have a passion for building knowledge and power within frontline communities while advancing strategies towards creating clean transportation options and a just and healthy ecosystem for all Buffalo residents. This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits based in Buffalo, N.Y., reporting jointly to the Open Buffalo Director of Community Engagement and Director of Leadership Development.
- Work with local, state and national partners to implement national best practices regarding principles of a Just Transition from an extractive and exploitative economy to a just and sustainable one.
- Serve as the primary Open Buffalo point of contact for the Buffalo Clean Mobility Coalition/NYSERDA Clean Neighborhoods Challenge Grant, including tracking and reporting progress on grant deliverables.
- Play a leading role in implementing Open Buffalo’s Clean Mobility/NYSERDA project community engagement and leadership strategy, including recruiting and facilitating a Neighborhood Leadership Group of 25 community stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Open Buffalo Director of Community Engagement to coordinate Clean Mobility and ecological justice-related base-building efforts, including door-knocking, phone-banking and related field activities to engage the community.
- In coordination with the Open Buffalo Director of Leadership Development, identify candidates for leadership development, and engage leaders in campaign opportunities.
- Train community members, leadership development program participants, and Clean Mobility Neighborhood Leadership Group members on the Just Transition framework.
- Educate Open Buffalo partners and community allies on Just Transition principles.
- Provide general support for Open Buffalo ecological and climate justice issue campaign work, and other environmental/climate justice movement support.
- Liaison with other justice-related campaigns as needed.
- Lead campaign planning and goal setting.
- Minimum Experience: A high school diploma or equivalent + 3-5 years of relevant experience; a bachelor’s degree + 1-2 years of relevant experience
- At least 2 years of experience in a community organizing, advocacy, or community outreach role (volunteer and professional experience, or a combination thereof, is acceptable)
- Demonstrated commitment, through work or volunteer experience, to social justice
- Cultural competency and proven ability to work in a culturally diverse environment
- Significant experience working with diverse constituencies, from high level officials to grassroots organizations and community members
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communications skills
- Familiarity with leadership training and development
- A firm knowledge base of the functions and operations of government structures and systems
- A strong interest in and familiarity with public policy, advocacy tactics, and strategies
- Experience with and understanding of energy policy, environmental justice, and climate change is preferred
- Fluency in two or more languages is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Open Buffalo values diversity and inclusion throughout our city and within our organization. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply.
Terms of employment:
Open Buffalo offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The salary scale for this position starts between $55,000-$60,000, depending on experience. Full health benefits; pension; generous time off. Friendly, team-oriented working environment.
Applications are currently being accepted, interviews will begin before the end of February 2023 and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please, no calls or email inquiries. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references (names and contact information).
Please send application materials to email@example.com.
Or application materials can be sent by mail to:
Open Buffalo Search Committee
1327 Jefferson Avenue, Upper
Buffalo, NY 14208
Application deadline: March 9, 2023