Open Buffalo Mission:
Our mission is to advance racial, economic, and ecological justice. We do so through skill-building, network connecting, and activating leadership opportunities. Our goal is that all communities in Western New York are thriving free from discrimination and poverty.
Our Collective Vision of Liberation:
Our vision is that all communities in Western New York are thriving free from discrimination and poverty. We believe in an empowered democratic society, where grassroots, nonprofit, faith-based, philanthropic, local government, and business sectors work in solidarity to advance equity, justice and peace. An empowered democratic society is key to joyful, culturally rich community and a sustainable planet.
We believe that people directly experiencing the challenges and inequities that we aim to address should always have a voice in both diagnosing the problems and developing the solutions.
An Opportunity to Join Our Team
POSITION: Program Associate
Date of Posting: May 10, 2021
The Open Buffalo Program Associate is part office manager, part events coordinator, part executive assistant, part community liaison, part social networker and full-time agent for change.
Behind the Scenes: Office and Event Logistics
- Coordinate the day-to-day operations of the office.
- Act as reception and provide front-line communications with those interested in the work of Open Buffalo in a friendly and clear way.
- Provide administrative support.
- Set up meeting rooms and event spaces as needed.
- Troubleshoot technical and administrative problems.
- Serve as administrative assistant to Executive and Deputy Directors.
Movement Building: Connecting People and Ideas
- Maintain an awareness of and relationships with community leaders to identify new community-based partnership opportunities and initiatives.
- Communicate with community members through the Open Buffalo newsletter: ‘Open Letter’
- Logistical coordination and support for Open Buffalo’s Leadership Development programs.
- Serve as a supportive liaison between partner organizations, Open Buffalo and community partners on issues-based campaigns.
About the Open Buffalo Program Associate:
- Demonstrated commitment, through work or volunteer experience, familiarity with, and keen interest in social justice.
- Strong writing, attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated examples of flexibility, creativity and initiative.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently and to juggle multiple tasks under time constraints.
- A positive attitude to a demanding and dynamic work environment.
- People skills and sensitivity to people's needs.
- Capacity to handle multiple tasks and projects.
- Enthusiasm and energy, sound judgment.
- Comfort working autonomously, a low-stress attitude in a complex environment.
- The ability to be flexible and deal well with deadlines and a variety of projects.
- Experience with and understanding of the tenets of community organizing and civic engagement.
- Experience working with coalitions of community members and community-based organizations in the context of advocacy campaigns.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Open Buffalo values diversity and inclusion throughout our city and within our organization. People of color, women, LGBTQI individuals, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits:
Open Buffalo offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The annual salary range for the position is between $45,000-$50,000. Full health benefits, 401-K, and generous time off. Friendly, culturally vibrant, team-oriented working environment. Questions on terms of employment can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strongly encourage all candidates to visit the Open Buffalo website and social media accounts to learn about the work of the organization.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and the names, association, and contact information of three different types of individuals who can give us greater insights as to who you are, what you value, and how you work. Please send via e-mail to email@example.com.