Job Opportunity: Restorative Justice AssociateBack >
May 16, 2017
The Restorative Justice Associate will advance relationship repair practices including peace circles.
Restorative Justice Associate
Date of Posting: May 16, 2017
End of Posting: May 24, 2017
Back to Basics Outreach Ministries & Open Buffalo are seeking an experienced advocate for social justice to be a main conduit for organizing activities related to Restorative Justice Practices. The Restorative Justice Associate must have a passion for building power and knowledge within underserved communities.
The Restorative Justice Associate will conduct organizing, planning and community outreach activities; engage and involve community members through neighborhood canvassing; develop relationships with and visit community-based organizations, block clubs, local businesses as well as institutional partners at the local, state and national levels; identify potential community leaders to participate in leadership training and development; develop and implement successful organizing campaigns in conjunction with the Open Buffalo collaborative; and mobilize community members and partners to organize community meetings, public events and actions.
This is a part-time position with benefits based in Buffalo, NY, reporting to the Executive Director of Back to Basics Outreach Ministries.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Build and support relationships with community members and the membership base of Back to Basics Outreach Ministries, as part of the Open Buffalo collaborative.
- Serve as a liaison to increase community support for the implementation of Restorative Justice practices.
- Develop new and maintain existing Restorative Justice practices with Open Buffalo partners.
- Provide administrative support to Back to Basics Outreach Ministries.
- Organize public events promoting Restorative Justice.
- Develop and maintain a database of community-based organizations trained in Restorative Justice principles.
- Develop and maintain a database of individuals trained in Restorative Justice.
- Identify, recruit, and retain residents and allies with strong leadership qualities and assist them in advocating Restorative Justice principles, as part of the Open Buffalo collaborative.
- Assist in gathering information and conducting research on Restorative Justice practices.
- Work a flexible schedule; some nights and weekends are required.
- Passion and commitment to restorative justice practices
- Capacity to think strategically and analytically about social, economic, cultural, and political issues affecting the community
- Cultural competency and proven ability to work in a culturally diverse environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills (one-on-one and in a group format), written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to facilitate groups and manage community conflict
- Ability to manage multiple campaigns with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and social media
Back to Basics Ministries and the Open Buffalo collaborative value diversity and inclusion throughout our city and within our organizations. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply.
Applications are currently being accepted, interviews will begin immediately and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to: