“Movement Morning” a Landmark Occasion for OBBack >
May 16, 2018
On Tuesday, May 15, 2018, Open Buffalo held our first Movement Morningbreakfast, a fundraiser to help sustain and expand work to create a more just and equitable city. The more than 150 community members who gathered for this event heard inspirational messages from:
- Julia Bottoms(keynote speaker) – 2017 Open Buffalo Emerging Artist and co-creator of the Freedom Wall mural.
- Dr. Rev. James A. Lewis III(event emcee) – Senior pastor, chaplain, community leader
- Grace Tate– Executive Vice President, Buffalo Urban League and Open Buffalo board chair
- India Walton– Community organizer, activist, and 2015 Open Buffalo Emerging Leader
- Aaron Bartley– Executive Director, People United for Sustainable Housing
- Franchelle Parker– Executive Director, Open Buffalo
During the event, Open Buffalo provided a snapshot of our two signature leadership development programs —Emerging Leaders and Democracy Fellows —as well as an update on our overall agenda for 2018, which includes:
- Fighting epidemic poverty and increasing access to safe and affordable housing in the city of Buffalo.
- Creating equal access to economic opportunities for everyone, regardless of race, sexual orientation, gender expression, neighborhood or socioeconomic status.
- Dismantling mass incarceration and repealing destructive policies left over from the failed “war on drugs.”
- Bringing training and civic engagement opportunities to new marginalized communities.
Many thanks to those who attended, donated, or otherwise supported our first-ever Movement Morning. Extra special thanks to our event sponsors!
- Chase (Platinum sponsor)
- M&T Bank (Gold sponsor)
- Chiampou Travis Besaw & Kershner, LLP (Silver sponsor)
- eco_logic STUDIO (Silver sponsor)
- KeyBank (Silver sponsor)
- Try-It Distributing (Silver sponsor)
- 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East (Venue sponsor)
Below are some scenes from the event.
(Photography by Ahmad Nieves.)