Open Buffalo Seeks Director of Administration & FinanceBack >
May 24, 2018
Open Buffalo - Job Description
Director of Administration & Finance
Date of Posting: May 24, 2018
Open Buffalo is a civic initiative with a mission to create systemic changes leading to an “open” city for residents of Buffalo, N.Y., through the measures of equality, justice, and freedom. Open Buffalo provides leadership development, media and policy strategy and coordination, direct support, and assistance to social and economic justice organizations and campaigns, facilitates action-oriented community research, and raises the profile of and mobilizes funding for this important work.
About the Open Buffalo Director of Administration and Finance
The primary responsibilities of the Open Buffalo (OB) Director of Administration & Finance relate to the smooth flow of operations as well as day-to-day financial management. Operations responsibilities include: human resource and personnel management, office management, network liaison work, and events planning. Financial management responsibilities include budget management, bill payment and expense oversight, according to IRS audit regulations.
The Director of Administration and Finance oversees and maintains vendor contracts and relationships; monitors administrative expenses; manages human resources administration; and is the primary coordinator of OB-run special events and programs. The Director of Administration and Finance liaises with a diverse group of stakeholders from the OB Board of Directors to community-based organizations and citizens of Buffalo and is also responsible for disseminating information, such as meeting agendas, as well as developing appropriate files, databases, policies/procedures, etc.
The Director of Administration & Financereports directly to the Open Buffalo Executive Director.
Responsibilities of the Director of Administration & Finance:
- Process all payment requests and monitor expense reports monthly
- Work closely with the Bookkeeper to monitor Open Buffalo accounts and Human Resource management (including payroll, benefits package implementation and paid-time off days)
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, act as a liaison to the Open Board of Directors; attend monthly meetings, coordinate committee meetings, compile minutes and prepare agendas
- Act as office manager to the team in managing staff and network calendars, coordinating Open Buffalo events and maintaining a fully functioning office environment
- Act as liaison to vendors and partners with whom Open Buffalo has established relationships
- Work with the Data Specialist to seek out new funding and monitor the status of grants and grant applications, as well as capture fundraiser event data
- Oversee and enforce the policies and procedures in the Personnel Policy Manual and the Financial Manual
- Act as reception (monitor email, phone, postal mail & greet office visitors) to provide front-line communications with those interested in the work of Open Buffalo in a friendly and clear way
- Provide administrative support and logistical coordination to the staff team and Executive Director for Open Buffalo programs and campaigns
- Troubleshoot technical, administrative (and interpersonal) problems
- Minimum experience: 3-5 years of experience as an office or project manager; an associate’s or bachelor’s degree is preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated commitment to the social justice field through work and/or volunteer experience
- Strong computer skills; familiarity with QuickBooks a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills,
- The ability to be flexible and deal well with deadlines and a variety of projects
- Experience in human resource management preferred
- Experience in finance or accounting preferred
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits based in Buffalo, N.Y. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required as job duties demand.
Open Buffalo is a collaborative that values diversity and inclusion throughout our city and within our organizations. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, differently abled and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Open Buffalo Search Committee
617 Main Street, Suite 350
Buffalo, NY 14203
or to email@example.com
Please include the name of the position to which you are applying in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered.