Squeaky Wheel Seeks Teaching Artist for Buffalo Youth Media InstituteBack >
July 5, 2018
From our friends at Squeaky Wheel Film & Media Art Center:
CALL FOR TEACHING ARTIST
Squeaky Wheel is seeking a dedicated media arts teacher for Buffalo Youth Media Institute, an out-of-school program designed for high school students living in Buffalo. Candidates should have professional media arts experience in camera operations and audio recording; video editing and audio mixing; graphic design and animation; as well as teaching experience.
Required skill sets:
- Video Production & Post-Production (e.g. proficiency in Final Cut Pro etc.)
- Audio Production & Post-Production (e.g. proficiency in Pro Tools, Audacity, etc.)
- Experience teaching high school age youth and/or young adults
- Cultural competency or experience working with youth from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Experience working in a trauma-informed environments
- Experienced in trauma-informed care/instructional practices
- New media production skills i.e. ability to use many digital practices required for creative media-based production.
- NYS Teaching Certification
Days/Period of work: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 3-6pm from September 11, 2018 – June 6, 2019
Preference will be given to those who demonstrate cultural competence and a strong desire to explore various social & economic issues.
Squeaky Wheel established the Buffalo Youth Media Institute in 2005 and has been working in partnership with the Buffalo Center for Arts & Technology as a host venue for the program since 2013. Through videos, lectures, critiques, and hands-on demonstrations, students explore the life, culture, and people of Greater Buffalo behind the lens of a camera.
Participants in the program have a lot of freedom to explore their own topics and visions. Examples of topics from past documentary projects include:
- Buffalo’s hip-hop scene
- Colored Musicians Club
- Civic engagement
- Racial profiling
- Violence in schools
To apply, please send a letter of intent (max. 1 page) and CV/resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm, Monday, July 30th, 2018. Any offer will be contingent on successful completion of a background check. Position open until filled. Squeaky Wheel is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage indigenous, people of color, women, queer, trans, and gender non-conforming people to apply.