Apply Today: Breaking Barriers Youth Leadership CouncilBack >
December 5, 2017
“BREAKING BARRIERS” YOUTH LEADERSHIP COUNCIL is a group of young men of color, 12-24 years in age, creating a unified voice that advocates for racial equity, social justice and policy change. The Council will address the practices and systems that hold back males of color.
APPLY FOR BREAKING BARRIERS YOUTH LEADERSHIP COUNCIL AT:
Download the application form here.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT:
What is the Boys and Young Men of Color Youth Leadership Council?
A council made up of 100 Boys and Young Men of Color from the Greater Buffalo area to raise youth voice and strengthen and improve the life outcomes of young males of color. The council will address policy, systems, and narratives impacting boys and young men of color. Youth Leadership council members will have an opportunity to tell their own stories and take advantage of leadership opportunities.
Youth Leadership Council Goals
- Raise the youth voice around issues impacting Boys and Young Men of Color •Change the narrative surrounding Boys and Young Men of Color
- Understand and impact policies and systems affecting Boys and Young Men of Color •Create leadership opportunities for youth
- Empower young men to be leaders positively impacting their community •Improve listening and presentation skills
- Support young men in developing new relationships and networks
YOUTH LEADERSHIP COUNCIL (YLC) PARTICIPANT REQUIREMENTS
- Attend and participate in one (1) four hour meeting per month at one of the following Buffalo Public School Community School locations:
Bennett – 2885 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214
East – 820 Northampton Street, Buffalo, NY 14211
Lafayette – 370 Lafayette Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14213
South Park – 150 Southside Parkway, Buffalo, NY 14220
- Participate in leadership opportunities
- Engage in online social media projects
- Provide feedback and suggestions to improve the YLC •Commit to impacting your community in a positive way
- Recruit participants for 2018-2019 the YLC
- Complete and submit application by Saturday, December 9, 2017
- Complete interview process if selected
- Be at least 12-24 years of age (parent consent if under 18)
- Do not have to be currently enrolled in school
- Live in the Greater Buffalo area