(BUFFALO, N.Y.) – On Tuesday, June 8, the Buffalo Common Council unanimously passed a resolution sponsored by Masten District Councilmember Ulysees O. Wingo Sr. in support of the For the People Act (HR.1/S.1) in Congress. Hundreds of residents across Western New York (and allies across the state) are calling on Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer bring this critical bill to a vote in the Senate. A number of community stakeholders and concerned citizens will gather for a press conference about this issue on Thursday, June 10, at 12:15 p.m. at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Utica Street.
The For the People Act is a critical piece of legislation that would protect our democracy and expand voting access for poor, working class and people of color across the nation. Recent headlines have shown how fear mongering and misinformation have led various states to roll out voter suppression bills that threaten access to voting and weaken our democracy.
The For the People Act would do the following:
- Expand access to the ballot for tens of millions of Americans.
- Lessen the undue influence of a small group of extremely wealthy donors by empowering small donors.
- Ban what’s known as “partisan gerrymandering” where politicians draw their own district lines and instead puts in place uniform standards for congressional redistricting that include stronger protections for communities of color.
- Create automatic voter registration, same-day voter registration and stop voters from being kicked off the voter rolls.
- Shore up rules that block the undue power of big money in politics and ensures they are enforced.
- Strengthen ethics codes across all three branches of the federal government.
What: For the People Act press conference
When: Thursday, June 10, 12:15pm
Where: Corner of Jefferson & Utica, Buffalo, NY 14208
For more information about Thursday’s press conference or about the For the People Act, please contact Max Anderson at email@example.com or 716-218-9075.