Open Buffalo Mission:
Our mission is to advance racial, economic, and ecological justice. We do so through skill-building, network connecting, and activating leadership opportunities. Our goal is that all communities in Western New York are thriving free from discrimination and poverty.
Our Collective Vision of Liberation:
Our vision is that all communities in Western New York are thriving free from discrimination and poverty. We believe in an empowered democratic society, where grassroots, nonprofit, faith-based, philanthropic, local government, and business sectors work in solidarity to advance equity, justice and peace. An empowered democratic society is key to joyful, culturally rich community and a sustainable planet.
We believe that people directly experiencing the challenges and inequities that we aim to address should always have a voice in both diagnosing the problems and developing the solutions.
Request for Proposals: Racial Equity Training Video Production
Deadline for Proposals: September 14, 2021
Open Buffalo seeks videography/video editing services for the creation of a short series of racial equity training videos that will be made available to nonprofit professionals and organizations throughout Western New York. Regional nonprofits will gain access to self-paced digital training modules focused on racial justice and equity within the nonprofit, human service, and social spheres. These modules will help set participating nonprofits on a path to being equitable, culturally responsive and anti-racist. Video recordings will include compelling 1-on-1 interviews and panel discussions with subject area experts. Video editing should include some data visualization, use of stock imagery, and other illustrative elements.
- Record a series of (10 to 12) interviews and discussions with racial equity experts and community workers for use in racial equity and anti-racism training videos.
- Edit video clips from footage, isolating different topic/learning areas.
- Creating and setting up light- and sound-controlled recording environments for interviews.
- Participate in regular production/artistic check-in meetings with Open Buffalo staff.
- Deliver edited video files (and sign over exclusive ownership of them) to Open Buffalo upon completion.
- We anticipate this will be about a two-month project. Schedule and deadlines will be set in collaboration with Open Buffalo staff.
- We anticipate some travel within WNY (Erie, Niagara, and Monroe counties) required to accommodate interviewees.
Background and Skills Required:
- Professional videography experience, preferably experience in creating short films or documentaries
- Professional video editing experience. Ability to create and edit infographics and data visualizations into videos
- Ability to travel to various locations in WNY to record interviews
- Experience recording interviews/dialogue for use in instructional or informational videos
- Knowledge of racial, cultural and social dynamics of Western New York (WNY) and an ability to create video content that speaks to WNY nonprofit professionals
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong communication abilities
- Ability to think artistically and creatively
- Demonstrated commitment, through work or volunteer experience, familiarity with, and keen interest in social justice and racial equity preferred
We expect the fee for this contract to not exceed $25,000, paid in installments tied to specific progress benchmarks.
Equal Opportunity Organization:
Open Buffalo values diversity and inclusion throughout our city and within our organization. People of color, women, LGBTQI individuals, people with disabilities, and formerly incarcerated people are encouraged to submit proposals.
We strongly encourage all candidates to visit the Open Buffalo website and social media accounts to learn about the work, voice, and visual style of the organization.
To apply, please submit:
- An example of your videography work, no longer than five minutes (if longer, please list which portion you would like to us to review)
- A letter of interest listing your past experience, and your method for completing such a project. (Collaboration with other organizations, artists, or filmmakers will be considered.)
- A proposed budget for your services under this project, including an estimate of hours
- A brief history of your organization/business, its principals, and staff bios
- Names, association, and contact information of two different types of individuals who can give us greater insight as to who you are, what you value, and how you work
Please send proposals via e-mail to email@example.com. The deadline for proposals is Tuesday, September 14, 2021.